Meet our Youth Intern Amelia!

Amelia (center) with a few of the school children she taught this summer.

Hometown:  Bronxville, NY

What are you working on this summer?
I interviewed women and girls in the Kibera slums, one of the world's largest informal settlement within Nairobi, Kenya to learn more about how they manage their periods. I can't wait to share the videos, photos, and stories I captured while there with you soon! Stay tuned.

I am also working stateside in the SHE office and are helping the SHE team with office operations and social media.

What superpower would you have?
To fly… it would make travel a lot more fun!

Which American girl doll would you be?
Kirsten, her dangerous journey from Sweden and adventurous life on the Western frontier captivated me when I was younger.  She was also the first American girl doll I got; at four she was my prize possession.

What is your favorite food?
Pasta with Pesto (but only how my mom makes it).

What was the last song played on your iPod?
“Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye

Why did you join SHE?
I have always been passionate about the field of human rights.  I am especially interested in the empowerment of girls and women who traditionally in their cultures have had no voice.  I have done a lot of research on non-profit organizations and when I heard about SHE, their mission really caught my attention.  The issue of women and girls missing work and school is obviously one of huge importance and SHE’s approach is so sensible and pragmatic.

No comments: