Amelia's summer at SHE



We introduced Amelia earlier this summer as one of our intrepid Youth Interns. Amelia spent time in both Kenya and US working on behalf of SHE and will continue to be involved with SHE as one of the co-producers of an upcoming video series SHE Talks!You want to stay tuned for this!

The issue of women and girls missing work and school because of menstruation is a human right’s issue that I believe SHE approaches in a sensible and pragmatic way.  During July, I lived in Nairobi, Kenya working in the Kibera slums.  While I was there I spent time talking to girls and women about the issues caused by menstruation that they faced regularly.   
 
When I got back to the United States, I learned more about SHE’s mission and its approach to expanding the access of sanitary pads for women around the world.  I worked in the SHE offices in New York to help organize their database.

I am now collecting stories and videos to start SHE talks, an advocacy initiative for women and girls to tell personal stories or community legends that surround the discussion of menstruation.

-Amelia, High School Senior and SHE's Youth Intern


No comments: